The Power of Podcasting Course
Creativity Lab in the Library, University of York, University Rd, Heslington, YO10 5DD
Are you thinking of launching your own podcast but don’t know where to start?
Over eight weeks, explore why podcasting is now such a popular storytelling medium, learn about the different types of podcast, how to format your story and target your audience. Discover the technical skills of recording and editing using tools like Reaper, how to script episodes and interview guests. By the end of this course you’ll have enough knowledge and experience to start your own podcast.
Podcasting can help you to reach new audiences for your business or creative practice. Join this free practical course to build your technical skills and develop the knowledge to create a powerful story.
There are 12 fully funded places available on this eight week course, which will be delivered in-person at the Creativity Lab at the University of York and will take place on Thursdays from 3pm – 5pm:
- 4 May: Introduction
- 11 May: Recording Skills
- 18 May: Format and Ideas
- 25 May: Interviewing, scripting and hosting
- 1 June: Introduction to Reaper
- 22 June: Complex mixing on Reaper
- 29 June: Expanding your audience – the business side
- 6 July: Listening session
Meet the trainer
Angharad Hampshire is a journalist and audio producer with a Doctor of Arts in Creative Writing. Previously an honorary lecturer at the Journalism and Media Studies Centre, the University of Hong Kong, writer for the South China Morning Post and radio producer for BBC Radio 4 and the World Service in London.
Who can apply?
To apply for this course you must:
- Be a UK resident, or be eligible to work in the UK, have a personal UK bank account and a UK postal address
- Have a connection to Yorkshire and the Humber (for example, you could live in the region, work here, or have been educated at a Yorkshire and Humber based institution)
- Be available to attend all eight weeks
To apply, please complete an application form (this should take approximately 30 minutes to complete).
Application Deadline: 5pm, Monday 10 April 2023
Application Outcomes: 5pm, Wednesday 12 April 2023
Programme starts: 3pm, Thursday 4 May 2023