Working in Sound
This course is aimed at those who are interested in working in the screen industries and want to explore music technology and the moving image for the first time. We are particularly interested in supporting people who are new to the screen industries or are returning to work after a break.
Undertaking this course will give you the opportunity to develop new technical skills such as using a digital audio workstation (DAW) and video editing software. Each lesson will be delivered online through a series of live sessions covering technologies and techniques, alongside careers information and advice about working with sound in the screen industries.
Producer and engineer Aiwan Obinyan will lead the course. Aiwan has a close association with YSWN and experience of delivering education activities, including at higher education level.
Course content and dates
Week 1: Shooting a video on low-to-no budget | Tuesday 4 May 2021
Week 2 & 3: Editing for maximum impact | Tuesday 11 & 18 May 2021
Week 4 & 5: Sound Design 101 | Tuesday 25 & 1 June 2021
- Intro the DAW including similarities and differences across the main ones.
- Sound manipulation techniques
- Finding sounds + understanding copyright and usage
- Sound for Image: Foley vs Dialogue vs Ambience vs Sound Design
Week 6 & 7: Podcasting 101 | Tuesday 8 & 15 June 2021
- Recording – various remote platforms including pros and cons of each and some of the tech behind them and how to use and get the best from each
- Psychology of recording
- File formats and management
- Editing for maximum impact, energy and engagement
- The mix
- File delivery – ID3 tagging
- Distribution – how to get your podcast on Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Amazon.
Week 8: Getting set for success in the creative industries | Tuesday 22 June 2021
- Your brand
- Your profile
- Building your portfolio
- Creating and building your creative CV
- Getting work
- Tapping into existing networks and creating your own
- Staying organised and focused
Each session will take place from 7pm – 8.30pm.
This is a free course for people based in the Yorkshire and Humber region. No prior experience is necessary to join. For those with some previous experience of working with sound, activities can be added to further develop your skills.
Applications will close on Sunday 25th April 2021.
For more information, please email [email protected]